Do I Need Planning Permission?

In practice, about half of our installations tend to require planning permission. There are circumstances where you can undertake a garden studio project without planning approval, though the criteria can restrict your usage of the building due to height limitations. Our ethos tends to be, if you can afford to wait and spend a few hundred pounds more in fees, it’s often worthwhile applying for planning approval to benefit from a more versatile, more spacious building design.

Planning permission is generally not about the size of the structure, rather it’s location, external appearance and it’s intended use. Even the smallest garden sheds, rooms and greenhouses need planning permission in certain circumstances! The rules do differ for England versus Scotland and Wales, though these are summarised below.


Garden room planning permission may NOT be required if:

  • the building is not located forward of the principal elevation fronting a highway
  • the building is single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof
  • the maximum height is 2.5 metres and the building is within two metres of a boundary
  • there are no verandas, balconies or raised platforms, and no more than half the area of land around the original house would be covered by additions or other buildings

Generally speaking, in most cases you will need planning approval if you live in a National Park, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites – though the only real restrictions in Conservation Areas, which are significantly more commonplace, relate to buildings installed at the side of properties.


You will need to apply for garden office planning permission if any of the following cases apply on the land around your home:

  • You wish to install a building which would be nearer to any highway than the nearest part of the “original house” (meaning as it were first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 if constructed before that date) unless there would be at least 20 metres between the new building and any highway. The term “highway” includes public roads, footpaths, bridleways and byways.
  • If your new building would have a volume over 10 cubic metres, and come within 5 metres of the house, it would be treated as an extension and would count against your overall volume entitlement – you may therefore be able to use some of your house permitted development rights, though more often, you will need to apply for approval.
  • You want to put up a building or structure which is more than 3 metres high, or more than 4 metres high if it has a ridged roof. Measure from the highest ground next to it.
  • More than half the area of land around the “original house” would be covered by additions or other buildings.
  • The building or structure is not to be used for domestic purposes and is to be used instead, for example, for parking a commercial vehicle, running a business or for storing goods in connection with a business. If your house is a listed building, or you live in a Conservation Area, a National Park, or an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and you want to put up a building or structure with a volume of more than 10 cubic metres.

We offer a full planning application service if required and are extremely experienced in all matters relating to garden rooms, buildings and home office sheds – please do call us to chat or submit an enquiry.

There are always many ways to proceed and we do ask that you rely upon our significant experience! We also offer lower roof options on all Office and Studio models, with an upgraded foundation system, to retain the ease to install our products without additional garden room planning permission. Furthermore, our Pod range rarely if ever requires planning approval!