To all our Green Studios fans that run their own business from home and use their garden building as an office… we thought you’d like to hear top tips from a fellow home worker – and social media expert – Pip Akram. Pip runs her business from her garden room, you may like our blog featuring the build of Pip’s pod [see it here]. Here’s Pip’s 10 simple social media tips for SMES:
Social media is everywhere; advertised hashtags for TV shows, breaking news on Twitter before the televised news and my personal favourite to ‘bag’ yourself (excuse the terrible pun but I couldn’t resist!!) a real time free packet of Walkers crisps. More and more businesses are recognising the importance of Social Media and with figures like this it’s hardly surprising:
- 71% of consumers receiving a quick brand response on social media say they would likely recommend that brand to others. (Source: Forbes)
- 78% of consumers say that the posts made by companies on social media influence their purchases. (Source: Forbes)
- 80 percent of social media users prefer to connect with brands through Facebook. (source: Business2Community)
- 69 percent of follows on Twitter are suggested by friends. (source: Web Analytics World)
- Instagram delivers 58 x more engagement per follower than Facebook, and 120 x more engagement per follower than Twitter. (source: Izideo)
However many don’t understand how it ‘works’ or what they should be doing and as an SME where time is precious it can all seem too daunting. However, a small business that invests its time wisely and properly in social media WILL improve their customer/client loyalty and word of mouth marketing efforts. Social media is not just for large brands.
HERE ARE MY TOP 10 TIPS:
- You don’t need to be on every social media platform. Choose the ones that align and work with your business, that you enjoy and that you have time for. There is nothing worse than having an ‘identity’ on a social media platform but no action.
- With time at a premium make every minute count. With practice it is possible to refine your social media activity to around 40 minutes per day – here’s how!
- Respond! This may sound obvious but social media is just that – social! Nurture conversation and a loyal community; too many times businesses post and tweet but do not respond to comments and replies.
- Understand that it will take time and effort to see results. It’s about building relationships and growing trust.
- Don’t hard sell. Only 10% of your social media activity should be completely self-promotional and sales orientated. Treat social media like a party – to be liked, you’ve got to be gracious, genuinely interested in others, and not dominate the conversation.
- Know which numbers count. This is NOT likers, followers, connections etc. You should be monitoring engagement rates, knowing when your audience is online and what gets them buzzing.
- Find the balance. As an SME you have the added advantage of being able to inject a personal element just be sure to set your limits – not everyone wants to hear about Aunt Ethel’s trip to the opticians (although the recipe for her apple cake may go down well!).
- Be proactive not just reactive. Go out and search for potential customers
- Use video! CTR, engagement and sales rates are higher where video is involved. One 15 second video on Instagram could be all it takes to get people talking.
- Give your website a social media audit. Ensure the links to your social media accounts are visible and work (same for your auto signature) and that you have ‘tweet this’, ‘like it’, ‘pin it’ etc. buttons on your website as an absolute minimum.
So there you have it, my top 10 tips (believe me I have lots more!!). Working from home myself I’m passionate about helping SMEs understand the most (cost) effective ways to get social media to work for them and offer 1-2-1 training courses tailored to your specific business requirements. Find out more about me here or why not tweet me a ‘hello’?!